Feature Requests

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Please post feature requests in this thread.

Thanks,
Mike Downey
Principal Evangelist, Media Platform
Microsoft
miked -at- microsoft.com

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

This is already looking like a good project. I especially like the use of HTML+CSS for as much as the player as possible and using Silvelright for playback video only - many other playback frameworks require you to learn a 'theming' language.

Although a 'political issue', it would be really handy if the framework could support Flash playback as well, for browsers who do not support HTML5 and do not have Silverlight installed, to reach as wider audience as possible.

Also, I would consider it not worth the effort making the framework support IE6.

Regards, Lee

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Hi Lee -

We've actually been talking about partnering with someone to incorporate a Flash fallback into our framework. In fact, I just reached out to my old colleagues on the Flash team to see if we can work with their OSMF project. We also have a great relationship with the guys at Akamai who oversee the Open Video Player. It's not as political as you might think. Our goal with the Microsoft Media Platform is to provide solutions for as many platforms as possible (reach) as our business is focused on the back-end infrastructure. If that means providing a Flash client we're not opposed to it. Similarly, we have a smooth streaming porting kit for iOS.

Regards,
Mike

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Hi Mike

Going to be using this for a key demo at an upcoming conference.

One feature that would be really useful is a method call to attach the player famework to all video elements in the page, similar to that which is currently offered by video.js.

v-gavinb

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Another request.

Could the height parameter be optional so that only setting the width is needed. Currently not providing a height causes the controls to float at the top of the video frame and the video frame does not set it's height correctly when returning from fullscreen mode causing the video frame to have zero height and not show

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Edited Sep 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Hi Gavin,

Here's the easiest way to attach the Player Framework to all existing <video> elements in the page:

var playerElements = PlayerFramework.getElementsByClass("pf-video"); 
PlayerFramework.forEach(playerElements, function(element) 
{ 
	new PlayerFramework.Player(element); 
});

This assumes you are using the <video> tag as the primary element (with Silverlight as the fallback) in all of your video players. If you are using Silverlight as the primary element in all of your video players, just change that class parameter above to "pf-silverlight". Once the jQuery plugin is released, you can use more advanced query selector syntax to find video elements to attach to.

As for the height parameter in your other request, we'll investigate more flexible options that don't require setting the height. For the time being, the height parameter is required as you noticed.

Thanks,

James

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Live Smooth Streaming for audio only broadcasts in an HTML5 player

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Hello,

I love this framework and somehow feel that Microsoft will continue to invest heavily into it.  I am sure that for every developer, to know that a framework will be maintained and enhanced is of immense importance (Mike Downey’s comment at following URL confirms this https://plus.google.com/110939940621927212894/posts). I generally prefer Microsoft tools and frameworks but at this moment I am torn between http://mediaelementjs.com/ and this new player framework by Microsoft. One of the main issues is that the former already implements Javascript FullScreen API. Please, please, implement it soon as this will make the choice essentially settled for me.

Best regards,

Jan Sichula

http://sichula.temelios.sk/ (English website for ministry friends – family photos, videos and ministry newsletter archive)

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Hello Jan -

You are correct in that we continue to invest heavily in this framework. It's been available in some form (primarily Silverlight) for over two years now and we've somewhat recently added our second developer (James) to the project. James will continue to drive the HTML5 version of the framework while Tim Greenfield will lead our Windows 8 version and the XAML iteration of the framework (including Windows Phone and XBOX).

Our current sprint has both of our developers fully focused on ramping up for the release of Windows 8 next year. As you may know, Windows 8 includes a new application model that we call "Metro" and it allows you to write full-blown Windows apps (with mandatory touch-friendly UI) using either HTML5/JS or XAML/C#. For HTML5 developers you'll have access to the fully standards-compliant features that you find in modern browsers as well as access to the underlying capabilities of Windows through a layer we call WinRT (Windows Runtime). So you'll be able to call native APIs from JavaScript. Very cool stuff.

So that said, additional features and updates to the current flavor of the HTML5 video framework, which is focused exclusively on browser-based playback, will slow down a bit while we focus on Windows 8. Some features, fixes, and enhancements will roll down from our Windows work and we will push those out in time.

In the end, we aim to have a comprehensive player framework that will allow you to target just about every platform out there while enjoying consistent APIs and capabilities. The HTML5 browser version of the player will work on pretty much every browser and device out there now and we intend to release a version for iOS and Android apps some time next year.

We'll take a look at the fullscreen API you referenced above.

Thanks,
Mike

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM
tperri wrote:

Hi tperri -

Sorry I missed your post. We would LOVE to bring smooth streaming to HTML5 but web standards compliance dictate a slightly different path. In order to make it work we would either need to provide a browser plugin (eg Silverlight) or all of the browser vendors would have to adopt Smooth Streaming as a standard, natively within their browsers. Neither are viable options.

There is, however, a third and much better option for everyone.

The MPEG committee, in an effort led by Microsoft, Apple, and around 90 other tech companies, has been working on a standard for streaming media over HTTP called MPEG DASH. Luckily DASH was ratified just last week and is now an ISO standard. Once DASH gets implemented by all of the major players we will all be able to enjoy live, adaptive streaming in HTML5.

Now, like everything else in the world of HTML5 and web standards, we just have to wait for it to get implemented. Microsoft aims to lead that charge but considering it was just ratified last week, it's going to take a while.

Until then our only option is a browser plugin. We just released Silverlight 5 so you can use that until DASH hits critical mass.

Thanks,
Mike

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Dear Mike,

thank you for your explanation and further information but I have to honestly express that it is disappointing for me and I believe also for many of us out there who are heavily investing into standards based HTML5 video and moving away from Silverlight. Version 1.0 is very buggy, it is still more of a beta version that needs a lot of polish and rigorous testing (see here and here) . Features like Silverlight native controls (and not windowless overlay) are badly needed as playback performance is very poor in Opera. Windows 8 features should be done by different guy and not at the expense of HTML5 enhancements and bug fixes that are needed today and not six months from now. I will keep eye on this framework but unless you can change the strategy and give this project a full speed today that I have no choice but skip to http://mediaelementjs.com/ which is much more mature and tested.

I continue to be a person friendly to Microsoft products and frameworks but this is one is simply not ready for real life.

HTML5 and H.264 video fan who is keeping close eye on MPEG DASH developments,

Jan Sichula

http://sichula.temelios.sk/ (English website for ministry friends – family photos, videos and ministry newsletter archive)

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry you have encountered issues with the HTML5 Player Framework. Please understand that we will continue to actively maintain and support this project.

To address your request for native full screen API support, we will look into providing a workaround that will allow native full screen support until the feature is included in the Player Framework.

We will also look into providing an option for using Silverlight in non-windowless mode. Please note that this will require you to use a non-overlaid control strip (fixed below the player) and it will also preclude you from using plugins that require overlays on the video element (e.g. the playlist plugin and the captions plugin).

Thanks,

James

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Dear James,

thank you for your prompt response. It is encouraging to see renewed signs of life with this nascent project. Its precursor, MMF, was rapidly enhanced and well maintained and I hope to see same approach with this new kid on the block that I believe is right on target with HTML5 as primary delivery mechanism. Now I understand that non-windowless mode SL player will mean sacrifice of those features but for me performance and true SL full screen (not just the DIV maximized to the viewport size) are primary needs. I look forward to enhanced SL fallback player. Please, keep this project on rapid development.

Best regards,

Jan Sichula

May 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Edited May 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM
tperri wrote:

I'd like to reiterate this feature request, though I guess it's probably best placed in the silverlight player forum. I'll mosey over that way.

Fantastic work overall though, keep it up!

May 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Hi,

It would be nice to have an easy way to add markers of different colors.

In addition to the Style property, a "Color" property to the VisualMarker class would be perfect.

Thanks

Frederic

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Are you considering adding in support for HTTP Live Streaming, to encourage those companies who have invested in supporting iOS devices, into porting or developing apps for Windows Phone and Windows 8?  I am specifically thinking of BBC's iPlayer, and Radio player.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Could you move the project to a NuGet package? It's easier when we work in a team, not to have to separately install and update the .vsix.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
@tecGoblin, thanks for your feedback, here's another thread about NuGet support and using vsix's in a team and working with source control that you may find useful.
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Thanks for your hard work, folks!
Is Http Live Streaming on the roadmap?
Aug 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Hi,

Is this support advertisting feature?

Thanks,
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Hello there,

Just need to know when we will get a release with support for Windows Phone 8.1?

Thanks for the great work.