Supporting .asf streams, especially the "not perfect" ones

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Apr 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Based on a conversation with James Dailey here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/4b2f8b1b-a98f-4381-99a6-a495a53ffd48.  Basically the current MediaElement and MediaPlayer controls do not handle .asf streams that are not fully compatible with the spec or have some issue in the stream.  At the surfact this sounds reasonable until you try the streams in Windows Media Player, Windows Phone, or Silverlight.  Those players code base can handle these streams and just "work".  It would be awesome if you could support those types of streams as well.  I'm trying to build the Windows 8 Metro version of my app and can't really do it without that type of support.  I could try to embed the old media player, but that doesn't seem right in a modern app.

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The player framework uses MediaElement under the hood so if it is "unforgiving" to issues with these specific streams you will see the same result in the player framework. As mentioned in the Metro forum thread, you can always roll your own Media Foundation plugin (not trivial). Or maybe the Win8 team will make improvements in the MediaElement before RTM; we'll have to wait and see.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Tim,

Has there been any improvements in this area?  I know that James was going to work on an example MF plugin, but that never happened.  Any suggestions?

Scott

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

There's an sample MF extension on MSDN that uses a MediaElement. You should be able to just swap in the player framework for the MediaElement to see it work in the player framework. Hope this helps, Tim