Disable full screen notification in top left corner

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Jun 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM

When I click the full screen button in the player using finger tap a notification appears in the top left corner saying "Exit Full screen" or something similar. 

Is there a property to hide this message? I really need to hide it.

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2012 at 12:29 AM

chrisva, I'm unable to duplicate this. It sounds like you're seeing the full-screen tooltip but in my tests it does not appear when tapping (only on mouse over). Can you please tell me more about your app and how to duplicate this?

fyi: I was testing on the Samsung tablet given out at the Build conference.

Thanks, Tim

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Hi Tim, the reason why this might happens is that i close the player from the click event of the full screen button. I then open a new player in full screen from code in a different position on the site setting the position for the player to the same place as the small player. When I do this the tooltip hangs in the top-left corner of the screen and not near where the button was at the time it was pressed. However, when the tooltip is displayed the button is closed and removed from the view.

Do you have a best practice pattern for how to display the video in fullscreen. Do you transform the videoplayer or create a new one like I do?

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

chrisva, regarding a fullscreen recommendation where the player is playing at a sizer smaller than the page itself and then the user clicks (potentially while the media is playing) to go fullscreen: you have 2 overall options:

1) Recreate the player and seek to the correct position (use StartupPosition for this) to resume just like you are doing. You could also navigate to a new page if you wanted to record the action in navigation history. On a side note: navigating to a new page would also probably resolve the tooltip artifact issue that you are seeing.

2) Position/host the player on your page in a way that would allow it to grow to consume the full screen. This route may require you to make compromises to your page layout but will offer the user the best experience because the media never has to stop and restart. Here's another thread on one way to accomplish this. http://playerframework.codeplex.com/discussions/360948. Note: this route may not be possible depending on what else you require on your page.

Unfortunately, there is no way to easily take a UIElement in Xaml and force it to automatically go full-screen.