player shows error after orientation change

Topics: Windows 8 JavaScript
Jul 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

My app is using the PlayerFramework.MediaPlayer to play progressive download video.

Everything seems to work fine, except that in the simulator, when I trigger an orientation change, the player loses its control bar and displays the following error: "The video failed to play. Try again" as a large overlay on top of the video (which continues to play).

No errors are thrown, to the VS console, and as far as I can tell, none of my JS is running when this happens (I have at least console.log([function name] in every function).

Any suggestions? Workarounds?

ETA: I wanted to note that this is clearly impacting other apps as well. For instance the USA Today app in the store does the same thing.

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thanks for reporting this Dennis, we're looking into this.

Developer
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Edited Jul 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I verified the error is also happening in a simple Metro style JavaScript application with a plain old video tag (i.e. not using the Player Framework). We will report this to Microsoft.

As a temporary workaround until this is resolved, you could listen for the error event and hide the error plugin if the error code is MEDIA_ERR_DECODE (error.code = 3), or just not include the error plugin at all. The video appears to be able to continue playing even after the error is reported.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Have their been any updates to this? I'm still seeing the issue in the current version, and while I understand it is an underlying issue in video playback, I'd love to know if you have a more 'precise' workaround that doesn't hide other errors (like a real video decode error) or any other update.

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Duncanma, I believe the issue may be in the simulator only. Are you also seeing this on a physical device with a deployed app (not running from VS)?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM
timgreenfield wrote:

Duncanma, I believe the issue may be in the simulator only. Are you also seeing this on a physical device with a deployed app (not running from VS)?

heh... no, only fails in the simulator (where I was testing at the time). Thanks for the quick response, now I feel better :)