Media Player in snapped view

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Sep 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Whenever my player is in a snapped view, it seems to take significantly longer to load.  is this due to one of the new features listed?

"Auto smooth streaming track restriction for snapped mode to conserve bandwidth".

Can I somehow overwrite this?

Also, here is a snapshot of the control in XAML using the Adaptive plugin. 

<mpf:MediaPlayer x:Name="mpVideo"
                                     Width="250"
                                     Height="190"
                                     Source="{Binding VideoLink}">
                        <mpf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
                            <adaptive:AdaptivePlugin />
                        </mpf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
                    </mpf:MediaPlayer>
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM

dolowoya, I am unable to reproduce this nor can I think of a reason this would cause longer startup times since the smooth SDK always starts at the lowest bitrate. Nevertheless, we are introducing a new property in the next version to turn off this feature.

What kind of load times are you seeing in full screen vs. snapped?

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

With full screen, a 2 minute .mp4 (not sure on the actual file size) takes about 10 seconds to buffer and start playing.  In snapped view, it takes about 2 - 3 minutes.  However, I did fail to mention a few things.

- I am currently working in a VM environment (VMware with Windows 8)

- I am also testing within a Simulator, not an actual device.

- And there is a chance that video download traffic is throttled at my current location ( I'll definitely test again once i'm in a more controlled environment)

I'm assuming these could all play a part in the video taking so long in snapped view.

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

dolowoyo, for progressive download videos (e.g. .mp4 files), the auto smooth streaming track restriction feature does not apply.

Another option might be to run fiddler just to see if anything jumps out that could explain it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I'll definitely give fiddler a try as well.