Video resizing after play start

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Hi,

I'm having an issue with media player, after starting playing the video (HD, .mov), the video sometimes starts very small, for a very short time (less than 1s), then expands to real size.

This seems quite random, sometimes it starts expanded (or at least, seems to) and sometimes not. I've managed to capture this here : http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2041/playermeh.png (video start is white), video starts with very small scale, and with 2 black bars around it, and then expands to full size of the block.

Following videos played in the same MediaPlayer have the same issues.

Anyone having an idea on this issue?

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

N4, I haven't seen this before which makes me think it might either be related to 1 of 3 things:

1) Your video driver. Have you tried this on different machines?

2) The app. Perhaps there is something unique about the container you're putting the MediaPlayer in that causes it to start small or perhaps you're setting HorizontalAlignment or VerticalAlignment on the MediaPlayer? Could you try in a simple single page test app to see if it also happens there.

3) The video itself. Have you experienced this with other videos? For example: http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/samples/videos/bigbuck.mp4

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This was tried on different computers, happens on almost all of them, but this is quite hard to try since this seems to happen quite randomly (or simply that sometimes the video gets resized quick enough for the problem not to be visible)

Seems to be related with the videos, there was no problem with this mp4. Also tried with MediaElement directly, and this bug is not related directly to MediaPlayer since the result was exactly the same for these 2 tests :

- MediaPlayer with red background

- MediaElement in grid (stretch) with red background.

Red background takes full available size (same as screen in first post, whole white part, except between black bars, was red), but video starts at about 1/4th size, then resizes to grid size and covers all red background... which is very strange since all these videos are 1920x1080, and they starts at about 1/4th of their real size.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Very strange, I was also guessing that maybe it was showing the first frame at native resolution but it sounds like this is not the case as you noted.

One idea: can you try explicitly setting a size on the MediaElement in your test to the resolution of the screen? If this works there may be something we can do in the player framework to replicate this workaround.

I'd also suggest posting this on the MSDN forum to see if you can get help from the folks who work on the MediaElement. Sounds like it might be a bug in the MediaElement.