Video streaming capabilities

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Does anyone have any good references to the actual video format (container/codec) requirements for progressive playback? I'm aware that the player can handle MP4 (h264/AAC) but in order to actually stream properly requires to be 'optimized' (http://multimedia.cx/eggs/improving-qt-faststart/). If you attempt to play non-optimized files the player will download the entire file before actually starting playback.

The thing which is slightly puzzling is that I know that the media pipeline can handle AVI containers which don't have a similar concept as MP4s (i.e. their info is always located at the end) and these always download fully before playback begins. Ideally, wouldn't the player perform range-requests to access specific sections of the file to allow immediate playback to begin?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hi Ian, this behavior is determined by the Windows Media Foundation pipeline. I'd suggest posting this to the MSDN developer forums to ensure you get the right folks looking at it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Tim!

For anyone else interested in this topic, here's my post on the MSDN Developer Forums: here.

If I discover anything definitive, i'll summarize here.

Ian