Smooth Streaminig and Entertainment theme problem using Seek

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Feb 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Hi to all,
I got my app consuming using Smooth Streaming in the last few days using the Entertaiment theme. When I use the "round marker" to "seek" the video to a new position seems to not perceive the change of position and after half a second is restored back to the original position. The video is not interrupted during this operation at all.

If I "click" directly on the timeline the seek works fine so I think there could be some kind of problem in the Entertaiment theme itself.

If you want to reproduce the problem:
  • download the sample project
  • open EntertainmentAppPage.xaml sample
  • substitute the vod adaptative streaming url (from Adaptative\SmoothPage.xaml sample) to one of the listed mp4 in the EntertainmentAppPage
                SourceUri="http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/content/smf/smoothcontent/elephantsdream/Elephants_Dream_1024-h264-st-aac.ism/manifest" 
                mmppf:PlaylistItemMetadata.Title="Wildlife" 
                mmppf:PlaylistItemMetadata.Thumbnail="http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/samples/videos/wildlife_small.jpg"
                mmppf:PlaylistItemMetadata.Description="Wildlife Video"
                mmppf:PlaylistItemMetadata.Duration="00:00:32"/>

• add the Adaptative plugin (and relative reference to the xaml)
    <mmppf:MediaPlayer x:Name="player" Grid.Row="1" IsSkipPreviousVisible="True" IsSkipNextVisible="True">
        <mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
            <StaticResource ResourceKey="PlaylistPlugin"/>
            <adaptive:AdaptivePlugin />
        </mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
    </mmppf:MediaPlayer>

• now drag the "round marker" to the middle of the timeline and drop immediately and you will see the problem. The videos simply does nothing and the marker after half a second will be positioned in the "old" position.
PS - If you drag the "round marker" and "wait" 1-2 seconds the seek seems to be working fine.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Hello, this issue is due to the MediaElement honoring older seek requests and ignoring newer ones until the older one has completed. Fortunately, we now have a workaround that will be included in the next update. If this issue is blocking you from release please contact me directly and I will work with you to find a near term solution.

Regards, Tim