Styling WebVTT captions does not work yet? (HTML/CSS)

Topics: Windows 8 JavaScript
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Am I correct in assuming that styling closed captions for a Windows 8 JavasScript app does not work at this moment? I can't seem to come up with some valid CSS declarations that will allow me to style the captions. The "Entertainment" skin does mention some styles for cues, but they don't seem to have any effect in the current version of the player framework:
.pf-container .pf-captions-container {
    padding: 65px 15px;
} .pf-captions-container {
    padding: 100px 15px;
} .pf-cue {
    font-size: 30px;
The "official" CSS selector for this ("video::cue") also doesn't seem to be supported. Any advice?
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM
WebVTT support in the JavaScript version relies on IE10 to natively render captions. Unfortunately, IE10 today has limited styling and positioning support for WebVTT so I don't expect this level of customization to work. Besides living with the current level of WebVTT support, the only alternatives would be to 1) build your own WebVTT plugin, 2) use TTML instead of WebVTT (which does support styling & positioning).

Sorry, wish I had better news to share.
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Hmm, unfortunate, but understandable (because it relies on the underlying IE10 engine). What would be the best way to file a feature request for this? I can't seem to find a specific, central place (like Apple's Radar) where you can file bugs/feature requests. Thanks for confirming my suspicion Tim.
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I'd suggest posting to the MSDN forum for Win8 JS apps.

Note: it might also be something we can consider adding in the future in the player framework; I'll add it to our internal backlog.