Does the Player handle PlayReady/DRM?

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Feb 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM
We have gotten the player offered at playerframework.codeplex.com up and running in minutes against a secure (SSL) mp4 endpoint.

Am i right in assuming that the video should not play in the player by default if it's PlayReady/DRM protected?

Additionally, am i also correct is assuming we need to build a completely custom player around MediaElement and build off the PlayReady sample and sdk, and that there is no way to utilise the core Player in a PlayReady/DRM scenario?
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I believe it is true that if you try to play PlayReady protected content without the PlayReady SDK, it will fail. If not, this would seem to defeat the purpose of content protection.

Regarding your second question: the MediaElement and PlayReady SDK provide the nuts and bolts to play protected content in your app. The Player Framework builds on top of these pieces to get everything they offer + all the other stuff devs need to create full featured media apps -- such as controls to allow user interaction (e.g. timeline, play pause, ...etc) as well as higher level features such as closed captions or advertising.

Hopefully this answers your questions, Tim
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Hi,
Thanks, i did not have a correct manifest url, was actually poking at an mp4 hence my confusion (client has updated with the correct endpoint!).

Am checking out the player framework play ready sample now and will let you know if it works.
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:11 AM
I get "The video failed to play" on my pc at home with the player framework sample
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM
this happens on both my home and work pcs, but is fine on a laptop i've just borrowed to test. not a great experience, i'm hopefully in a very small minority with this issue.