Pluggable 3rd party DRM support in Smooth Streaming

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml, Windows Phone 8
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Hello All,

I want to know if it possible to Plug a 3rd party DRM solution (other then Play Ready ) with Smooth Streaming SDK and MediaPlayer Framework.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM
For Windows Phone 8, you can implement an ISmoothStreamingCache implementation to handle the requests and decrypt them on the fly.
Windows 8 also has a very similar mechanism using the IDownloaderPlugin interface.

Additionally, Windows 8 also offers the ability to build a custom Media Foundation Extension to handle DRM.
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Hi timgreenfield ,
                      how do i implement my own DRM decryption logic and integrate with media playerframework to play download file (encrypted) , i would appreciate any instructions how do i go about doing it.
Thanks in advance ,

Akash Vijay Solanki
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Please see the link above for more info on creating an MFE for DRM on Win8. If you've already done this, you can register it and setup your app to use it just like you would the Microsoft shipped PlayReady SDK (see downloadable samples for how to setup PlayReady). Once you've done this, you just load your source media the same way as if it was unencrypted (setting MediaPlayer.Source). I've never written a DRM MFE myself so I can't share any guidance on how to create one -- only how to use one that has already been written. However, MSDN should have some documentation on the subject of creating your own.