Slow motion and scrubbing are not supported for Windows Phone 8?

Topics: Windows Phone 8
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
If so, are there any plans to add this in the future?
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Unfortunately, slow motion, FF, & RW are not supported on the WP version because the MediaElement (and SmoothStreamingMediaElement) do not support different playbackrates like SL5 and Win8 do. Note: the player framework internally uses a MediaElement/SmoothStreamingMediaElements to facilitate playback.

Scrubbing (moving the position in the timeline to a new location) is supported however.

Sorry, I wish I had better news to share. It is possible the playbackrate feature will be added to the platform in the future -- in which case we'd be able to support these features in the player framework as well, but I am not privy to such plans should they exist.
May 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
is there a sample code for windows phone 8 that shows the scrubbing capability.

I want to be able to move to a position in the video sequence and add some labels to the frames with a time line?
Coordinator
May 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
@bytefx, if you're trying to move to a position in the video, you can either 1) let the user do it via the UI or 2) programmatically set .Position = timespan to seek to the new position.

Regarding "adding labels to the frames", are you referering to adding visual markers to the timeline (either on it or above it) or are you referring to something more like closed captions where text appears when playback passes a certain point in the video?
If the former, take a look at the VisualMarkers collection. Note: these can also be styled.
If the later, you can use the TimelineMarkers collection and the MarkerReached event to receive programmatic notification when a position is reached.
May 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I know this is not the appropriate thread. my apologies.

are there sample codes for show approaches in 1 and 2.
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
@bytefx: Scrubbing is enabled by default so for #1, just run any app that plays video with the player framework, tap on the screen to invoke the control panel and drag or tap on the slider to seek.

For #2, once the media has been opened you can just call MediaPlayer.Position = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(15);
(for example to seek to the 15 second spot).

Hopefully I understood your question correctly.
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:50 AM
@timgreenfield: Thanks. I tried this and it works ok.

I set the SeekWhileScrubbing to true.
also I noticed that there is only seektolive() method which can be used with the variable field e.g. MediaPlayer.LivePosition = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(15);

I went a step further and created scrubbingStarted, Scrubbing and ScrubbingCompleted event handlers. see https://playerframework.codeplex.com/workitem/24178

however although scrubbing is supported it is still slow. see other discussion https://playerframework.codeplex.com/discussions/447629 at my attempt in using custom MediaStreamSource with the player framework in mediaplayer.SetSource(vss).

I find the sample codes useful but some methods like Seekto() are not supported in windows phone.