Playing VOBs with Player Framework

Topics: Windows 8 JavaScript, Windows 8 Xaml
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to play VOB files with player framework for Windows 8 (particularly Javascript)? I can play a single VOB, but it won't go to the next one automatically as if it's playing from a DVD. Any insight/assistance would be great.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
gryphon99, to get the player to automatically advance from one media file to the next, consider using the playlist feature. Here's an explanation and sample code (scroll down to the section on playlists).

Hoping this helps.
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Hi timgreenfield,

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I don't think playlists will help. I already use the playlist feature for other things. A single movie can be split into 5-10 different files. If I added them all to the playlist, then scrubbing would not be possible since you would only be able to fast forward or rewind the current VOB file being shown. I would imagine you might also have a pause in the middle of the movie while the next VOB loads.

Is there any possibility of truly playing VOBs with Player Framework? If not, does anyone know another player that I might be able to use? A lot of my users are asking for this features so they can play ripped DVDs. Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
One possibility is to create a custom Media Foundation Extension. This is just a library that you add to your project references and then you write a couple lines of code to connect them to the media foundation pipeline. The library is then responsible for pumping video and audio to the mediaelement or video tag and could be made to stitch together videos from multiple sources. Unfortunately, it is not a trivial task to build a custom MF extension; but it does make your task technically possible. If you did this, the player framework should just work.

Another approach would be to modify the player framework source code to create new video tags and swap them at the appropriate time. To do this you would want to create a custom InteractiveViewModel to fake the UI into thinking there is just one big video. However, negotiating which video tag to show and when would not be super trivial either since you'd have to take into account things like seeking, FF, RW, and error handling.

Hope this helps, Tim