Video shown in fastforward when Player integrated in a Pivot control

Topics: Windows Phone 8
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Hi,

I've just posted in the issue tracker a bug we've been faced to when trying to integrate a Player in the 1st element of a Pivot control in a Windows Phone 8 application.

The behaviour we see is that as soon as we swipe the control to the right to look at the content of the other elements of the pivot, and then go back to the 1st element of the Pivot to watch the player again, all the video frames that we missed are shown in fast forward for a few seconds, and then the player comes back to normal.

The probleme can be seen on the emulator & physical devices, and on both the lastest stable & lastest beta versions of the framework.

Interestingly, the problem cannot be seen if we use the Panorama control instead of the Pivot.

Has any of you ever seen this ?
Any idea how to fix / workaround this ?

thanks.

Eric
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Eric, thanks for the excellent repro and details; this is very helpful. I'm looking into this now and will report back when I learn more. The issue is very perplexing :)
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
It gets even stranger... I can also repro the issue by replacing the MediaPlayer with just a basic MediaElement and (here's the catch) by putting a slider anywhere on the page. For example:
<phone:PivotItem x:Name="itemPlayer" Header="Player View" Tag="Player">
    <Grid>
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition x:Name="rowPlayer" Height="Auto" MinHeight="240"/>
            <RowDefinition x:Name="rowInfos" Height="*"/>
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>
        <MediaElement Source="http://download.blender.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/BigBuckBunny_320x180.mp4" x:Name="player" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Margin="12,0,12,12" />
        <Slider Grid.Row="1" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" />
    </Grid>
</phone:PivotItem>
As you can see, the slider in the xaml above isn't even on top of or bound in any way to the MediaElement. Commenting out the slider makes the issue go away.

This definitely seems like a Windows Phone bug and I'd recommend posting it on the MSDN forum in order to get the right folks to take a look. Also, I haven't searched for a workaround yet so it might be possible to hide the slider or something like that to workaround the issue. If you find a way to workaround the issue in the repro xaml above; let me know and I'd be happy to help advise on how to apply that workaround to the player framework.
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Thanks a lot for your investigation, Tim.
I've posted a new discussion on the MSDN forum.
Being likely a SDK bug, it might be hard to get a quick fix, so I hope for a workaround !