"The video failed to play" error

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml, Windows Phone 8
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
When I try to play a video file which is not supported, the error "The video failed to play" is displayed.

Is there a way to catch this programmatically? The MediaFailed() event doesn't seem to fire when this happens.

Also, how can I find out more information about the error (eg. unsupported codec, corrupt file)
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
The MediaFailed event should definitely fire... this is actually the same event that the player framework's error plugin listens to in order to know when to display the message.

Regarding getting more information about the error, this depends on if you are using smooth streaming or progressive and if you are on Win8 vs. WP. Which are you intending to use in your app?
Sep 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Thanks for the response Tim.

Just tried it again, and I am getting the MediaFailed event, the exception message is "3100 An error has occurred".

I'm trying to play progressive on WP8, both streaming from the Internet, and from local storage (SD card).
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM
The MediaFailed's ExceptionRoutedEventArgs is the only way to get additional information from progressive media failures on WP. I know it doesn't provide much info unfortunately.