how to change playback controls

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml, Windows Phone 8
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
How to change the playback controls of WP8

to entertainment_theme.jpg like playback control.

in windows phone 8 app(xaml/c#).
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
To create a custom style for the control you will need to copy the relevant Xaml to your project and modify the parts that you'd like to change. Here is the default xaml for WP.

Specifically, you can add your new xaml to app.xaml's resources node and make sure the MediaPlayer (or any of the controls that are part of the player framework) have a style defined without a key, it will automatically apply to all instances of that control (this is called implicit styles if you'd like to find out more about it on the web).

You can then look at how we implemented the entertainment theme for Win8 here and try to recreate it for Windows Phone.

Just to help start you off, copy the local:ControlPanel style from the WP default xaml and paste it in your app.xaml so it looks like this...

<!--Application Resources-->
        <Style TargetType="mmppf:ControlPanel">
            <Setter Property="VerticalAlignment" Value="Bottom"/>
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="{StaticResource PhoneSemitransparentColor}"/>
            <Setter Property="Template">
Note that added a namespace at the top for mmppf and did a search and replace on "local" to "mmppf" in the xaml that I pasted.

Once you have this, you can (for example) change the background property to "Orange" and see that the control panel that appears when you tap the phone will now be orange instead of semi-transparent black.

Hope this helps, Tim
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Thank you Tim. i got it. you saved my time.
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Sorry for using this thread, but I kind of have the same question and I am stuck.
I want to add a "HD-Button" at the end of the ControlPanel. Should probably be a ToggleButton... It is for changing the video quality (changing the source).
The logic at my VideoPage should be something like
<mmppf:MediaPlayer x:Name="VideoPlayer" AutoPlay="True" Source="http://foo.mp4" IsHD="True" HDButton_Click="HDButton_Clicked"/>
Is there a simple way of adding such a Button to the ControlPanel Style and how do I handle the click event of that button?
Sep 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM
@Apollon513, you could either 1) create a custom style in your page and add the button and click handler in xaml or 2) programmatically find the container element in the visual tree and add your new button programmatically. Both are a little cumbersome but you should be able to make them work.
Sep 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Tim, How do I style the control panel that If I am wrapping the Player in a custom control. I tried to expose the Style property and set the style. But that doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions ?

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Here is the link to entertainment theme style I created for WP8 (based on W8 theme):

If someone wishes to add custom controls to ControlPanel the second part of this guide: is really helpful.