Overlay class

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Sep 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Is there any way to Overlay on player? In SMF player we can do it by adding Overlay's project reference.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Hello, by "overlay" do you just mean adding UI elements on top of the player framework? If so, this is easy to do through Xaml. For example:
<Grid>
   <mmppf:MediaPlayer .../>
   <Button Content="Click me"/>
</Grid>
The player framework is just a normal control and the z-order, position, ...etc can be controlled like any other control.

Sorry, if I misunderstood the question.
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

By "Overlay" I meant "Overlays & Rubberbanding Plugin". It's the XAML overlays we can show on SMF player.

You can download it from http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/VideoEditor/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=5852

Dev
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Thanks Dev, I understand now. I'm not very familiar with this plugin but took a look and it seems like it would be possible to port this to Win8. Unfortunately, this is not something that anyone has done already AFAIK.

The project doesn't seem overly complicated but you'd have to make significant modifications to any interactions with the Smooth Streaming SDK (which is considerably different from the SL SSME). Additionally, the plugin architecture is different in Win8 but if anything it is much simpler IMO. If you decide to pursue this, feel free to ping me if you get stuck on porting any specific parts and I'll do my best to offer an explanation of how to overcome the differences.

Regards,

Tim