FreeWheelPlugin: Playback freezes of main video freezes following video ad break

Topics: Windows Phone 8
Oct 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM
With Player Framework for Windows Phone 8 v1.2 or v1.3 beta 2, if I attempt to scrub past an ad break or tap on the scrub bar to a position beyond an ad break, the ad break starts playing as expected but then the playback of the main asset freezes. By "freezes" I mean that the player is not in a paused state and therefore must be closed to recover. This happens regardless of how the FreeWheelPlugin properties SeekToAdPosition and InterruptScrub are set.

Is this a known issue and, if so, is there a workaround for it? Many thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I just gave this a try and have been unable to reproduce the issue. I am guessing that this is either because 1) I am not reproducing the issue correctly in my test or 2) something has changed in the latest version (I am running a version later than 1.3 beta 2).

Could I get you to try a simple test app using the following Xaml:
 xmlns:mmppf="clr-namespace:Microsoft.PlayerFramework;assembly=Microsoft.PlayerFramework"
 xmlns:ads="clr-namespace:Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Advertising;assembly=Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Advertising"

<mmppf:MediaPlayer x:Name="player" Source="http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/samples/videos/bigbuck.mp4">
           <mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
                <ads:FreeWheelPlugin Source="http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/samples/win8/ads/freewheel_midroll.xml"/>
                <ads:AdHandlerPlugin/>
            </mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
        </mmppf:MediaPlayer>
If it does not happen, you could try modifying it until the issue occurs then send me the repro or instructions on how to break it.

If it does happen, please let me know the exact steps used to repro. Also please let me know if you are using an emulator or device and if so, which one?

Thanks, Tim
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

The above XAML does not play ads at all in Player Framework 1.2/1.3 beta 2. If I replace the FreeWheelPlugin source with one I use, everything works correctly. However, when I replace the bigbuck.mp4 asset with a smooth stream asset, the player freezes up again as described in my previous comment. This happens on various devices including Samsung and Nokia.
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
The FW url I gave you turned out to contain wmv files that are you not supported on WP devices; sorry. Here's a new test that also has smooth streaming main content. For me, this works correctly in the emulator and a Nokia 920 device.
xmlns:adaptive="clr-namespace:Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Adaptive;assembly=Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Adaptive"
xmlns:mmppf="clr-namespace:Microsoft.PlayerFramework;assembly=Microsoft.PlayerFramework"
xmlns:ads="clr-namespace:Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Advertising;assembly=Microsoft.PlayerFramework.Advertising"

<mmppf:MediaPlayer x:Name="player" Source="http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/content/smf/smoothcontent/bbbwp7/big buck bunny.ism/manifest">
    <mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
        <adaptive:AdaptivePlugin />
        <ads:FreeWheelPlugin Source="http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/samples/win8/ads/freewheel_midroll2.xml"/>
        <ads:AdHandlerPlugin/>
    </mmppf:MediaPlayer.Plugins>
</mmppf:MediaPlayer>
Please give it a try and let me know if you continue to see any issues.
Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Edited Oct 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Thanks Tim, I've tried the above with Player Framework 1.2.

I cannot reproduce the issue in the Emulator but I can reproduce it reliably on Samsung GT-I8750 and frequently on NOKIA RM-914. These are the only devices I have at my disposal so I don't know whether other devices are affected by this issue. The issue occurs when attempting to drag the scrubber handle past the position of the ad break.

Regards,

Nat
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Is this issue fixed? I see much the same thing. I've tried several versions of the framework on the Emulator, a Nokia 520 and an 820 and 95% of the time there is a freeze.

Thanks for your time.