Two Manifest Requests - Why?!

Topics: Windows 10 UWP
Mar 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2016 at 5:14 PM
Hello.

I'm using Player Framework with a UWP App and I'm facing a little issue.

After player's source is set (mediaPlayer.source = whatever) using Fiddler I'm detecting two Manifest requests when I was expecting only one.

They are equal, the only differences are in the request headers. The first request has "NSPlayer/12.00.11082.1000 WMFSDK/12.00.11082.1000" as UserAgent, and a "GetContentFeatures.DLNA.ORG: 1". The second one is exactly like I expected it to be.

In my App this happens everytime I play any content.

I could replicate the same situation using the Microsoft Player Framework Xaml Samples App, but only two times. After two hours of tests and trying I couldn't replicate it.

Maybe this is not a problem at all (since I can see the content playing in my App), but I really would like to understand this behavior!

I know it's not my App's logic the origin of the two requests since after defining the source it's all about the player.

Thanks for the attention.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM
Have you tried using a straight MediaElement outside of PlayerFramework?
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the answer/attention.

Well, I made a lot of testing today and find out this only happens with the Streams from my App.

Following your suggestion, I created a new UWP App with a MediaElement and a Player Framework Players, and two buttons (whose functions were to set the same source to both Players). I used the BigBuckBunny Smooth Stream from your Xaml Samples App, and a Stream from my App.

Using Fiddler I verified that with BigBuckBunny Stream I got two manifest requests (one for each Player as expected) except the first play-through (the same I experienced before with Xaml Samples App). With my Stream I got four (two for each Player) everytime I set the Players source.

I made some more testing using my App and your Xaml Samples App. I injected BigBuckBunny Stream on my App and except the first time I always got only one manifest request (the same behavior). Injecting my Stream on Xaml Samples App I got always two manifest requests.

I don't know why, but with my Streams I get every single time two manifest requests. A Fiddler capture is present in the following link.

(this capture is made with the UWP App I created were a MediaElement and a PlayerFramework Players load the same source simultaneous)

Thanks ;)