playready smooth streaming sample

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Jun 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hi guys

I couldnt find any information about how to play a drm protected smooth streaming stream.

This thing is clearly not working for it despite all my modifications and effort to make it work:

In sl we just have to override the licenseacquirer url and everything worked, now i need a sample how to use the MediaProtectionManager with smooth streaming.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hi Gabriel, to confirm: does the PlayReady sample on MSDN work for you but the problem is trying to modify it to work with Smooth Streaming?

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Its not working for me out of the box which is not really a problem because its for playing some wmv files and not smooth streaming. What i want is some sort of code that replaces the Silverlight version's urloverride method and acquires the license for the drm protected smooth stream.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

fyi: here are some tips for getting PlayReady to work that might be helpful...

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Its not helping but thanks, of course i browsed through the whole forum before i posted my request for a new smooth streaming drm playback sample.

What i looking for really is something which can play this on win8:

La Url:

Manifest url:

they are from here:

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Any news on this?

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I have PlayReady DRM with Smooth Streaming working. 

You'll need the Smooth Streaming plugin.

<mmppf:MediaPlayer x:Name="mediaPlayer" HorizontalAlignment="Left">

<adaptive:AdaptivePlugin />

You'll need to create a MediaProtectionManager. If you need custom authorization you have to handle the ServiceRequested event and add your logic there.

Once you have received a successful license request, set your mediaPlayer to play your content (i.e. in the MediaOpened event handler).

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

"You'll need to create a MediaProtectionManager" Thats right, but how can i set the url override and all the other things for this.

I simply didnt found the way to do that. The sample here is only good for wmvs:

Do you have a source? or did you managed to play this sample content?:

La Url:

Manifest url:

If yes please include your sample.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

In the handler for the ServiceRequested event I manually created a HTTP post request to the authorization server and handled the response.

These will help:

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

A few modification on Microsoft's PlayReady sample solved the problem.

May 27, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I am also trying to implement PLayready with smooth streaming for the manifest url.

Can you please explain on how you solved the issue, I tried to go to the blog link you have posted but it is marked private by its owner.
May 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Edited May 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM
I found the solution to this, as lorddg said few modification to Microsofts Playready sample application solved the problem. Since the blog link provided is a private blog and since I dont have access to it I have posted the solution on stackoverflow,

Stackoverflow Link
May 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Sorry for the late reply, i had to take the blog off for a time (making it private was easier), but your solution is exactly the same as mine was. Nice answer at Stackoverflow, short and simple.