This project is read-only.

player shows error after orientation change

Topics: Windows 8 JavaScript
Jul 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

My app is using the PlayerFramework.MediaPlayer to play progressive download video.

Everything seems to work fine, except that in the simulator, when I trigger an orientation change, the player loses its control bar and displays the following error: "The video failed to play. Try again" as a large overlay on top of the video (which continues to play).

No errors are thrown, to the VS console, and as far as I can tell, none of my JS is running when this happens (I have at least console.log([function name] in every function).

Any suggestions? Workarounds?

ETA: I wanted to note that this is clearly impacting other apps as well. For instance the USA Today app in the store does the same thing.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thanks for reporting this Dennis, we're looking into this.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Edited Jul 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I verified the error is also happening in a simple Metro style JavaScript application with a plain old video tag (i.e. not using the Player Framework). We will report this to Microsoft.

As a temporary workaround until this is resolved, you could listen for the error event and hide the error plugin if the error code is MEDIA_ERR_DECODE (error.code = 3), or just not include the error plugin at all. The video appears to be able to continue playing even after the error is reported.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Have their been any updates to this? I'm still seeing the issue in the current version, and while I understand it is an underlying issue in video playback, I'd love to know if you have a more 'precise' workaround that doesn't hide other errors (like a real video decode error) or any other update.

Thanks

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Duncanma, I believe the issue may be in the simulator only. Are you also seeing this on a physical device with a deployed app (not running from VS)?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM
timgreenfield wrote:

Duncanma, I believe the issue may be in the simulator only. Are you also seeing this on a physical device with a deployed app (not running from VS)?

heh... no, only fails in the simulator (where I was testing at the time). Thanks for the quick response, now I feel better :)