Seamlessly joining videos in the player

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Nov 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I'm currently working with videos which are both for progressive download and smooth streaming. A number of them have been split into a collection of files/sources and therefore I need to somehow stich them together in the player. They don't represent chapter markers or anything user meaningful so ideally i'd like to completely hide this from the user, e.g. the seek bar should represent the total progress over all files/sources rather than the currently playing part. 

Does anyone know how feasible this is or any suggestions of how best to approach the problem?

Ian

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Ian, this is an interesting scenario and not supported out of the box, although I do have an idea on how to possibly make this work...

The UI is entirely driven off a ViewModel (MediaPlayer.IInteractiveViewModel). This is actually an interface that you can build your own implementation of. Simply implement IInteractiveViewModel (or inherit InteractiveViewModelBase) and assign your instance to MediaPlayer.InteractiveViewModel. The UI elements will automatically bind to this and use the info you supply. In your custom implementation, you can provide calculated duration and positions. You can also handle actions such as seeking and scrubbing.

Hopefully this helps, it would be fun to see this used in such a way. Let me know if you have questions,

Tim

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
lanDB: Did you find a solution for your problem?