Theme ad player.... and posters not working in WP8?

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml, Windows Phone 8
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:19 AM

I'm having two issues that I'm struggling with...

1.  I can't seem to get Posters to show when using the Player in WP8.  I'm setting PosterSource and have tried both local and remote Uris.  But I've never seen a poster display while loading.  The same code seems to work fine on Windows 8 though, and the posters do display.

2. How can I theme the Ad player?  I need to remove the "more info..." link that shows (without modifying the ad source data).  I can see the template in the relevant source code but can't figure out how to change it without just removing it from source and rebuilding.  I can't seem to get the relevant template showing in Blend.  Would love a code sample of how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM

dewo, thanks for reporting the issue with the poster image. I've confirmed there is a bug here and will make sure this is fixed in the next update. Please DM me if this is a blocking issue and you need a solution ASAP.

Regarding theming the ad player to remove the "more info..." link, please see my response on this thread.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Has the PosterSource bug for WP8 been fixed yet? I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I try.
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Yes, this was fixed in the v1.1 update released in February. To get PosterSource to work, you need to make sure you set AutoLoad=fasle. Once the video is loaded, the first frame of the video is always used instead of the poster.

Let me know if you still have trouble getting it to work along with some sample code or a repro project.
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Not sure I get this behaviour. I thought the poster frame should display whilst the video is loading irrespective of the AutoLoad flag? I can set the poster frame source to the correct Uri and it displays if AutoLoad is set to false. If AutoLoad is set to true, then the screen stays black whilst the media is loaded and buffering. Am I missing something? I don't understand why the behaviour is linked to the AutoLoad property.

Any pointers would be really helpful, best regards, Dave
Coordinator
Feb 6, 2014 at 3:49 AM
In order for the poster to display, either AutoLoad must be set to false or Source must be null. Once a video is loaded, the first frame of the video is displayed instead of the poster. This behavior is intrinsic in the Windows 8 MediaElement and cannot be changed in the player framework.

BUT, you could add your own image to the visual tree and manually hide it once the player starts playing. Let me know if you want to pursue this and need help finding the appropriate container in the player framework template to add it to.

Note: The WP8 MediaElement does not have a PosterSource property so we tried to simulate the identical behavior in WP8 to help preserve compatibility for those using both the Win8 and WP8 versions. Therefore, for WP8 it becomes a little easier to modify the current behavior since you could replace the PosterPlugin with your implementation.
Feb 6, 2014 at 6:35 AM
ल ,,वया

Sent from my Windows Phone

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Thanks Tim. We had other issues in the end. Largely due to Ads pods being served as individual VAST files with the same timecode. The result was we were seeing the poster frame for a split second between Ads. In the end we decided to drop the poster frame and use a black rectangle instead. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.