SHOUTcast/Icecast metadata

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
Mar 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I'm building a simple player for SHOUTcast/Icecast streams and I would like to extract the metadata from the stream. What's the best way of going about this using mmppf?
I can extract manually by sending a request and parsing the output, but I couldn't find a way to do this within mmppf.

Any help if appreciated.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Hello, I'm not familiar enough with SHOUTcast/Icecast streams. Can you provide a little high level info about what format is used and how the metadata is stored? For example, is it just an mp3 file with metadata embedded?

Depending on this, one way might be to download it yourself and supply an IRandomAccessStream via MediaPlayer.SetSource(...).
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

The metadata is really simple. It comes embedded in the stream if you request it.
Here's a very good explanation for it: http://www.smackfu.com/stuff/programming/shoutcast.html

When I set the source of the player I get the stream to play flawlessly but I'm assuming the metadata is not being requested. If you have any suggestions on how to get this done, it would help me tremendously.

Thanks again for any help you can provide
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I think your best bet is to download the stream yourself, parse it and pass it along to the MediaPlayer via the SetSource method. Here is another thread where folks are using SetSource to provide a stream on the fly for playback in case it helps.