Support for Apple Live Streaming m3u8

Topics: Windows Phone 8
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to use the player to stream into Windows Phone 8 app a m3u8 Live stream.
Do you know if it supported?
if not what kind of format should I ask that is supported?
Thanks!
Ariel
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Hello, m3u8 is for HLS (Apple's HTTP live streaming protocol) and is not supported by Windows Phone natively. However, there are 3rd party venders out there with products that you can license and plugin into the player framework to playback HLS. You could also create your own MediaStreamSource to build one yourself but it's not a trivial task.
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Hey Tim,
Thanks for your quick answer.
I currently in a position to ask for a different format to be produced for my Windows Phone 8.
I'm not so proficient with the different formats.
Can you recommend me of a format which is supported by WP8 and can provide an alternative for Apple's HTTP live streaming protocol?
Thanks
Ariel
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Smooth streaming is the adaptive streaming format built by Microsoft and works great on Windows 8 and Windows Phone. This is what I would recommend if you have the option.

Otherwise, you can use progressive download (.mp4 or .wmv) but with progressive download formats, playback doesn't adapt the quality to network conditions or device capabilities. Here's a great 3 part blog describing the differences between progressive, traditional, and adaptive streaming in more detail.
Apr 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM
For the m3u8 file format there is a plugin by 3ivx,
which can be downloaded and tested, I have used it and it works very well.

Ronak