Support for smooth instream captions on Windows Phone 8

Topics: Windows Phone 8
May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Edited May 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
In the example code for instream captions a propertry called InstreamCaptionsEnabled of the adaptive plugin is set to true. When trying to do this for the player on Windows Phone 8, it does not recognize the property ("Cannot resolve symbol..."). I am using version 1.8.1.0 of the Player Framework. I guess support for instream captions has not been implemented for the phone framework yet. Is there a plan for doing this?
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Unfortunately, in-stream captions are not supported on Windows Phone. This is actually a limitation of the SSME (smooth streaming media element) and there is nothing we can do at the player framework level until the feature is added to the SSME.

Sorry for the bad news.
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
timgreenfield wrote:
Unfortunately, in-stream captions are not supported on Windows Phone. This is actually a limitation of the SSME (smooth streaming media element) and there is nothing we can do at the player framework level until the feature is added to the SSME.

Sorry for the bad news.
It is really a bad news for me.Why captions not supported on windows phone ?
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I'm not sure why the smooth streaming team did not build support for text tracks on WP.

Keep in mind, the player framework does support external captions (aka side car files) which is the most common way to support closed captions. It also supports polling these external caption files in the case of live streaming.
Jul 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Does SSME v2.5 support caption? The player framework works with smooth streaming v 2.5. Any change on this limitation?

Considering that the closed caption is the lega requirement, this limitation is significant to use the library.