Smooth streaming VOD hangs if network becomes unavailable during playback

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml
May 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Edited May 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM
I am building a media streaming app using playerframework. We are using smooth streaming but we are facing a problem that we are also able to reproduce with the playerframework sample available on codeplex. The application is a C#/XAML modern app on Windows 8.

The scenario is –
  1. Start playback of smooth streaming content (SmoothPage.XAML scenario in the playerframework Windows 8 sample)
  2. While it is playing on the screen, disconnect the network (e.g. use the charms bar to disconnect the wifi network or simply plug out the Ethernet wire).
  3. Click the right mouse button to bring the app bar and select the back button
  4. App hangs and program counter does not come anywhere in the code
I have tried mediafailed event, adaptivesourcefailedevent, adapativesourceupdatedevent, etc. but it simply does not come to this point, while it seems to continue to try to rebuffer.

Would anyone know how to address this?

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Thanks you for reporting this. This issue has been reported to the smooth streaming team and is not related to the player framework as it can also be duplicated with a MediaElement and the Smooth Streaming SDK alone.
Oct 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue. Is there an update that addresses this?
Oct 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I'm told this item is still open, is on the smooth streaming SDK's backlog and has not been forgotten. Unfortunately I do not know when a fix is expected.
Oct 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Ok Tim, thank you for the quick response.