HTTP based Live Streaming i.e HLS with PlayerFramework

Topics: Windows 8 Xaml, Windows Phone 8
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Hi All,
I want to implement HLS (Http Live Streaming) for windows phone 8 and windows 8 store apps.
Can anyone guide me how to do it using playerframework?
For windows phone 8 I got the link https://phonesm.codeplex.com/
This plug in is working for HLS but same plug in is not working for Http url which is not live Feed.
Can any one suggest How do I achieve HLS Video + Non live video in wp8 and windows store app with PlayerFramework?

Thank You.
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Are you using one of the phonesm-*.zip downloads? Have you tried with current source? What is the problem you are having with your (non-live) stream on WP8?

You may want to take a look at 3ivx. They support both Win 8 and WP8.
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Same question here.
I'm using in my WP8 app Player Framework including heavily skinned player. I've also tested that our new HLS streams work fine when playing using "Windows Phone Streaming Media" library+sample app. Unfortunately there is no guide, how use these two libraries together transparently.

Do you know any guide, how to play transparently either standard .mp4 file or .m3u8 HLS stream? Thanks
Jun 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM
It is a question of implementing an IPlugin that sets the MediaPlayer's source to an instance of MediaStreamSource constructed by phonesm (based on the stream's audio and/or video descriptors). I looked at this a while back and concluded that it is probably not very had at all, once one has figured out the Player Framework API. Specifically, I wasn't really clear on when to create the MediaStreamSource instance and how to know if the current URL was meant for phonesm or for another plugin (e.g., .m3u8 vs .mp4).
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Error 1 This project references NuGet package(s) that are missing on this computer. Enable NuGet Package Restore to download them. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=317567. C:\Users\shravan\Downloads\phonesm-45ee4449f092bacd4f5725b18bf8ddf2da3cdf7e\Source\Phone\SamplePlayer.WP8\SamplePlayer.WP8.csproj 202 5 SamplePlayer.WP8

what should I do now

I tred to run the application SamplePlayer for WP8

I have updated nuget package manger too.

Now Iam not bale to see Enable Nuget package Restore option under PROJECT
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM
when I tried to build HLSView.WP8 follwoing are the rrors shown:

Warning 1 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'SM.Media.Platform.WP8.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug' Platform='AnyCPU'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. HlsView.WP8
Warning 2 The referenced component 'Autofac' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 3 The referenced component 'System.Net.Http' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 4 The referenced component 'System.Net.Http.Extensions' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 5 The referenced component 'System.Net.Http.Primitives' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 6 The referenced component 'SM.Media' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 7 The referenced component 'SM.Media.Platform.WP8' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 8 The referenced component 'SM.TsParser' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Warning 9 The referenced component 'SM.Media.Builder' could not be found. HlsView.WP8
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM
@srk2k14:

Set your platform to x86 when building for the emulator and ARM when building for a real device. I find that it helps to enable the "Solution Platforms" button in the "Build" toolbar. You can see which projects get built for each configuration/platform if you look in the configuration manager ("Build" -> "Configuration Manager...").

The missing NuGet packages suggest that your NuGet may be old and needs to be updated (Tools -> "Extensions and Update...", then look under "Updates"). If it is up to date, you should still be able to do a package restore from the command line (e.g., see build2012.bat or build2013.bat).
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Thank you for your quick reply. Your help is very valuable to my current project . please bare with me and be in regular touch.

I think now i can fix the bugs definitely.
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM
henric wrote:
It is a question of implementing an IPlugin that sets the MediaPlayer's source to an instance of MediaStreamSource constructed by phonesm (based on the stream's audio and/or video descriptors). I looked at this a while back and concluded that it is probably not very had at all, once one has figured out the Player Framework API. Specifically, I wasn't really clear on when to create the MediaStreamSource instance and how to know if the current URL was meant for phonesm or for another plugin (e.g., .m3u8 vs .mp4).
The current phonesm source now has a Player Framework IPlugin for WP7, WP8, WP81, and Win81 (plus a universal SamplePlayer app). If it finds a source URL, it tries to create a MediaStreamSource. In many applications this needs to be customized to only do so for certain streams, but since not all streams politely identify themselves (either with file extensions or with a sane Content-Type) the default is to do so for all URLs. To support such customization, the IPlugin is--as before--in a separate project that will be distributed in source form even in the binary builds.
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM
srk2k14 wrote:
Thank you for your quick reply. Your help is very valuable to my current project . please bare with me and be in regular touch.

I think now i can fix the bugs definitely.
You're welcome.

Followup on the phonesm side of things since this isn't directly related to Player Framework.
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Ok but need to concentrate totally now on current project which is hls streaming on windows 8 phones.
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM
will nuget will install the packages needed or do I need to install the SM plugins etc.

Can u explain with a basic .m3u8 player app using the same concepts to understand

Thanks
Jul 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Ok no Updates are showing under the Updates Section..

Now what should I do I have cliked on build 2012.bat and Iam seeing the follwoing

"%~dp0..\tools\NuGet\NuGet.exe" restore "%~dp0..\Source\HlsPlayer.sln"

msbuild /m "%~dp0build2012.proj"
Jul 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM
ok then meet u on monday then However Im waiting for your reply.

Thanks for your support.
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:42 AM
Edited Jul 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM
Hi Henric Iam waiting for your reply .Now tell me How to begin with?

After opening the HlsPlayer.sln with vs 2012.

How to do a package restore from the command line.

Thanks
Jul 14, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Hi AshwinBhanuShali How to run the HLS eample and How to use the plugins.

Thanks