Two Manifest Requests - Why?!

Topics: Windows 10 UWP
Mar 8 at 5:13 PM
Edited Mar 8 at 5:14 PM

I'm using Player Framework with a UWP App and I'm facing a little issue.

After player's source is set (mediaPlayer.source = whatever) using Fiddler I'm detecting two Manifest requests when I was expecting only one.

They are equal, the only differences are in the request headers. The first request has "NSPlayer/12.00.11082.1000 WMFSDK/12.00.11082.1000" as UserAgent, and a "GetContentFeatures.DLNA.ORG: 1". The second one is exactly like I expected it to be.

In my App this happens everytime I play any content.

I could replicate the same situation using the Microsoft Player Framework Xaml Samples App, but only two times. After two hours of tests and trying I couldn't replicate it.

Maybe this is not a problem at all (since I can see the content playing in my App), but I really would like to understand this behavior!

I know it's not my App's logic the origin of the two requests since after defining the source it's all about the player.

Thanks for the attention.
Mar 8 at 6:38 PM
Have you tried using a straight MediaElement outside of PlayerFramework?
Mar 9 at 5:46 PM

First of all, thanks for the answer/attention.

Well, I made a lot of testing today and find out this only happens with the Streams from my App.

Following your suggestion, I created a new UWP App with a MediaElement and a Player Framework Players, and two buttons (whose functions were to set the same source to both Players). I used the BigBuckBunny Smooth Stream from your Xaml Samples App, and a Stream from my App.

Using Fiddler I verified that with BigBuckBunny Stream I got two manifest requests (one for each Player as expected) except the first play-through (the same I experienced before with Xaml Samples App). With my Stream I got four (two for each Player) everytime I set the Players source.

I made some more testing using my App and your Xaml Samples App. I injected BigBuckBunny Stream on my App and except the first time I always got only one manifest request (the same behavior). Injecting my Stream on Xaml Samples App I got always two manifest requests.

I don't know why, but with my Streams I get every single time two manifest requests. A Fiddler capture is present in the following link.

(this capture is made with the UWP App I created were a MediaElement and a PlayerFramework Players load the same source simultaneous)

Thanks ;)